Connect with us

Technology

EA confirms Dead Space 4 is in the cards

Dead Space.jpgEA Executive Vice President Patrick Soderlund spoke about the Dead Space franchise and the possibilities of a new game in the future. Soderlund, who spoke on behalf of Visceral, the developers of Dead Space, said while the game was not actively being worked on, the IP will stay with EA and there should be another game sometime in the future.

Visceral Games, who are also working on Star Wars and Battlefield, might not have the time to develop a fourth episode of Dead Space. Dead Space 3 received a mixed reception in reviews and sales, leading to people believing the franchise would be dropped by EA in favor of new Star Wars games and a more profitable IP.

In an interview with Polygon, Soderlund said:

“Do I think that we will create a Dead Space game again? Yes, I think so. But when we do so, we have to think about what made the previous ones successful and how we go about envisioning Dead Space for a new generation.”

This does appear to be EA saying it does not want to make the mistakes Dead Space 3 delivered and wants to go back to the roots of why the first and second game were so good for consumers and fans of the series.

It is interesting that Dead Space is likely to be dropped from EA’s library, at least for a while. The game has one of the most attractive fan bases for EA, and all the developers at Visceral really need to do is open up the story to more creative writers and stop adding micro-transaction payment options in the single-player.

We would be interested in a heavy horror Dead Space game, as the first and second were more deep, while the third loosened up a bit. The horror scene, especially on PC, is huge right now, and EA could definitely build a more powerful fan base if it made something genuinely scary with Dead Space.

Continue Reading
40 Comments

40 Comments

1. Brandon Schlosser

Jun 23, 2014 at 6:33 pm

Now let’s just hope that they go back to the original basis of the first two games and focus more on the horror rather than action. The franchise needs to continue, but if it continues to follow the action oriented theme of Dead Space 3 it won’t last long.

• HerveS94

Sep 24, 2014 at 9:06 am

agreed but i must admit i love all three of them, i hope they bring back isaac clarke again

2. Tony Bravo

Jun 23, 2014 at 8:51 pm

“The horror scene, especially on PC, is huge right now, and EA could definitely build a more powerful fan base if it made something genuinely scary with Dead Space”
    Very true, the horror thing is huge across all gaming hardware right now, and with all of the children coming of age and the Chinese market officially opening up to video games, the horror fan base will only get bigger. EA and Visceral would be wise to invest in an intense and truly horrifying experience for next gen consoles and PC.

3. Klaxxis IV

Jun 25, 2014 at 2:31 pm

EA cancelled Dead Space 4 in march 2013. As mentioned, it didnt make enough profit. Wow. After that comment im stopping buying any EA game, that includes BF series Pretty money greedy company, how sad. Not only they rush releases, but BF3/BF4 is still not fixed. I wonder why. Anyway, im halting ANY EA purchase, and you should too. They are publishing good games but the problem is that they ALWAYS are glitchy, and they wont fix them. Im pretty sure there are good non EA games out there. Not saying i’d buy Call of Duty, but i just might give them money instead of EA.

• Hyde

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:24 pm

Did you not read the article?

• Misfiring Chong

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:44 am

They sold 8 million copies. How are they not making a profit? It’s just that they’re not working on a sequel now since they’re making other games.

4. Rob

Jun 25, 2014 at 8:52 pm

I love dead space. I even think 3 was pretty good just not compared to the first 2. Please get rid of the weapons crafting and co op. People don’t realize that it was the weapon crafting that threw off the perfect formula of the first two. It also made the guns feel more generic rather than unique. The weapons crafting caused universal ammo which totally changed the way you play the game. Universal ammo alone changed the game from survival horror type game to a straight up shooter where you’re never in danger of running out of ammo. It changed the way you handle enemy encounters and instead of less equals more they had to throw more enemies at you to make it difficult. I could go on for pages about how they f’d up my favorite franchise but believe me it’s mostly due to the way weapons crafting caused everything else to have to change to support IT. Even the co op didn’t f it up the way the crafting did.

• Leo

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:04 pm

The weapon crafting is the best thing ever! It adds allot of replay value to the game. Don’t like it? Play Classic mode, perfect solution and simple. If you don’t like that, then what do you expect? That we all do what you want. Adapt to the new things man. And for what I’ve seen, most of the ppl loved it.
      I really hope they improve it even further. I’ll add more replay value to the new game.
      If there’s something to critique about the game is the story and some of the game-play that wasn’t exactly like the previous 2. But the weapon crafting system, GENIUS!

5. Tyrone Slothrop

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:58 am

I love all three DS games. They’re one of the few games I can play over and over again. The Hardcore mode is brilliant.

But 3 is not as good as 2 and here are some reasons. 1) The starting menus don’t make any sense. I’ve been playing since the day it came out, and I still can’t figure out how to reliably pick game modes etc. Save slots just don’t seem to work like they’re supposed to. 2) There’s way too much story. I’m just not that interested in Isaac Clarke’s personal life. The characters bicker like middle school girls over a relationship. Meanwhile the fate of the human race is at stake. It doesn’t make sense. 3) Why co-op? I don’t need it, and besides, I don’t have any friends!

• Chris Levenduski

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:33 pm

Co-op is the one thing that makes absolutely no sense to me. You NEED co-op to get 100%? You can’t play through the game yourself to Platinum it?!?!?! What were they thinking?

• JesseMace

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:43 am

anything with issac adds to the story for me. issac is the sh..t. that’s my opinion.

6. zedd

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:52 pm

I will never forget how good dead space was when I first played it.
    I will always remember when I played dead space 2 all the way through on shrooms. [best scene, the rocket chair]
    I will always be disappoint by how different 3 was from the first 2.
    4 should just be a reboot with a whole new story that skips the whole story about the moon coming to earth in the dlc, it should be after earth is gone and set decades or even centuries after the 3rd.
    but thats just me

7. Ryan Gilbert

Jul 10, 2014 at 7:16 am

What ever EA touches seems to turn into a “bleed the customer dry” product. I really hope some of the good game development companies do not sell themselves out to EA.

8. Hyde

Jul 16, 2014 at 6:22 pm

The microtransaction options were just that. Options. You weren’t forced to buy them, so stop complaining about them. A better story and the ability to have a AI co-op partner are legitimate gripes, but something that had absolutely no effect on the experience? That’s just complaining to complain at that point.

• cryosleep3011

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:18 am

There was no coop AI partner. which was a good thing. Also, I agree with your statement on the microtransactions.

9. Crom!

Jul 23, 2014 at 12:30 am

i didn’t like the universal ammo and how they got rid of power nodes. I also did not like those circuit upgrades. They changed the whole upgrade system to accommodate the micro transaction scheme. I hope they go back to power nodes and leveled suits. There were too many variants to the suit. Dead Space 1, imho, had the best best suit upgrade system. It was simple and it didn’t leave you with the feeling that another would be better…as there was not other suit.

• cryosleep3011

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:17 am

I agree with everything you said except for the suit part, as I quite enjoyed having some variety, and versatility.

• Cod95108

Aug 6, 2014 at 3:24 am

Yeah and the transactions shit use the damn bot enough and buy them with the ration seals

• cryosleep3011

Aug 6, 2014 at 8:12 am

Exactly, You never HAD to spend any money, and some of us, like myself, got through the entire game without doing so.

• Misfiring Chong

Jul 29, 2014 at 5:39 am

The suits in DS3 is simply cosmetic, and it is fun to change them once in a while. The power node system, IMO, is the worst part of DS and DS2. If I want to upgrade air capacity, why do I need to “reach” that part by wasting nodes on upgrades I don’t want? DS3 has the best system on this, and the ability to fully customize your weapon is simply epic. Just pretend the micro transaction doesn’t exists.

10. Twilight Sparkle

Jul 26, 2014 at 9:53 pm

The game was rad! All 3 had their own charms. 2 scared me the most, but 3 more so than the first game. The first game was buggy, clunky and hard to navigate (mouse was a pain in the @$$) Prime moments in DS3 were when the pregnant is waiting on the other side of the door for you, loved the twitchers, and the fanatic Danik who gets his in the end. Mixed reviews my butt, people just don’t appreciate good gaming these days. Don’t let your Nostalgia Biases ruin the franchise!

• doinky

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:47 am

agreed.

11. Chad Silvernail

Jul 27, 2014 at 12:00 pm

in 3, I loved the ability to forge your own weapons. The upgrade chips just added to the experience. I purchase the game, that’s it. I never fell into the micro transaction thing.

12. MrMidstream

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:00 am

“stop adding micro-transaction payment options in the single-player”
    I wish people would stop saying this. I, personally, loved the entire Dead Space trilogy and I NEVER had to pay for any additional micro-transactions.

13. GrimreaperNL

Aug 10, 2014 at 10:44 am

best game ever made if u ask me i wish they would make an 4th one because i would rly be dissapointed if they would drop it 😀 we need a part 4.

14. doinky

Aug 13, 2014 at 1:58 am

i loved all three games. i thought they all had their own specific vibe. i dont really understand the hate for ds3 and the co-op…yes it was the least ‘scary’ of the three, and the co-op took away a lot of the tension, but you didn’t have to play it. i felt it gave the game some variety, something different, while being true to the series. personally, i wouldn’t want a series where every game is the EXACT same thing. besides, after completing the first 2 on the highest difficulty, going into part 3, i was kinda over the jumpscares and what not.

• Archer Gilgamesh

Aug 15, 2014 at 9:20 pm

If you’re a pizza shop, then I come to you expecting to buy a pizza. What I don’t enjoy is being given a subway sandwich and being told it’s a pizza.

To clear up my somewhat confusing analogy, Dead Space is a horror franchise and is touted as such. As for my proof, aside from the first game itself, EA even launched a promotional campaign for Dead Space 2 about how Mother’s would hate the gore, violence and horror in the game. People rag on Dead Space 3 for a number of reasons; It didn’t evoke fear, the plot was stapled together with glue, ducktape and broken dreams and most of the time, It felt like a chore to play, and in the end, ignoring everything else, that’s the most horrendous thing a game can do.

Also, what made the first game scary wasn’t jumpscares, though they did get you a few times. Most of the game was downright /unnerving/. I didn’t want to progress because I was afraid, I was scared of what might be lurking around the corner, or just up ahead. Dead Space actually utilized a very good psychological tactic. It frightened you not with monsters, not with gore, but with the lack of. Dead Space 2 still had some of that, but Dead Space 3 lost it in transition.

DS3 has its merits though. The Co-Op is great fun with a friend (kind of like a few other disillusioned horror games I know of..) and the weapon crafting system was amazingly fun to use. Overall, a lot of the hate for DS3 is overblown, but there is cause for it.

• doinky

Aug 18, 2014 at 3:37 pm

matter of taste, really. if you’re gonna compare the games to pizza, by the third piece i was open to the idea of a different topping. i wouldn’t want the exact same game. parts 1 and 2 had differences as well. as far as mentioning the jumpscares, my point is that a lot of the tension (for whatever reason you want) was played out by the third. for me anyway there’s no way part 3 would have been as scary or unnerving as the others. if you finished the first 2 on the highest difficulty, then you kinda get over it. same with the plot…i mean, its gonna amount to issac fighting off necros. im not playing the games for the plot (shakespeare it is not,) but thats me.

anyways, ds3 still felt like dead space, to me. if it didn’t for you or whomever, its all good, different strokes and all. i would just say too bad ppl dont enjoy it for what it is. It had new terrain to explore, influenced by “The Thing” which is a bonus, it had improved space walking going on, and yes the weapon crafting, whats not to love? if ppl dont like it, i get that. no game is for everyone. its just the whining some ppl do that i dont get. the other two didnt vanish because of ds3.

• remaind

Aug 25, 2014 at 11:52 am

I can see why people didn’t like it, but at the same time it felt like the overall tone was a natural progression.
      The first game you’re investigating an infested derelict space ship and you have no idea what you’re getting into.

The second game you’re trapped on a populated commercial and industrial space station as it’s infected.

In both of them you’re haunted by your inner demons that you pretty much conquer by the end of the second one. The third one was naturally more of an action game since you’ve already been scared by the unknown in a vacant place and scared by the unknown in a very occupied place. You know so much more about the bad guys than you did before. Now they’re working against what they know about — mostly.

The bad: there were some strange plot leaps to be sure, I never felt like the game was a chore, necessarily…they opened up the movement a lot so you could get around faster. The really bad part was the collection missions. I can understand one or two of them, but while the overall game flowed, you could tell that every plot hub you’d have to collect at least 3 of something in a completely repetitive environment. Also, most of the puzzles felt completely unnecessary.

Overall I enjoyed the game and, really, the next one needs to be the last one. You can’t keep this one going on and on. Gotta nip it in the bud at some point, and #4 would be that point.

15. Kyle Gunter

Aug 30, 2014 at 6:42 am

the problem with dead space three was that they lost the fear factor to it in the 1st 2 games it was darker harder to see enemies tighter corners and it could be scary going round a corner for fear of a monster being their dead space 3 was also too open it felt odd being able to go where we wanted you gave us what we wanted we wanted open gameplay more customisable weapons but you didnt give us what we needed fear you gave us too much for one game if you could create the next game with scary background noises darker gameplay and more fear you would have a better game overall

16. Schwarze Wulff

Sep 1, 2014 at 3:57 am

Here is the thing…We can all clearly see from DS 1 to DS 3 a sort of “soft outlining” of things, if you know what i mean. Look at the suits, the weapons, the environment was even becoming a bit more “blue” more colors that invoke a sense of “life”…. I look at it this way… DS 1 was brown, natural looking. Issacs suits were much more defined, more realistic in my mind. The shape of the helmet, the over all construction of the armor and weapons. It all looks still today, much more gritty and practical which allows you to immerse into the game more (and in turn you get more a fear factor because it seems possible). As i was saying, the second one brought a much more “asian future” styled look if you will (which i know was already there but too me its overboard…) the plasma cutter became blue and it just looked more like a toy than it did an actual weapon, even the originals that they brought back in DS 2 were not exactly the same they were much “softer” looking and it was just plain annoying. Let me make it clear that i have played and own DS1, 2 and 3 and have done pretty much everything possible on the games… So back to my point, you can see how they did push so hard at making the second ones npcs more horrific, since you were plunged into a school watching babies explode and killing elementary kids. So the shock value was much greater in that aspect. to me this balanced out the soft changes in the armor and environment we were delving into. But you can see that the developers were still pushing throughout the game toward that softer look in the human characters(there was however the classic armor in ds2 which i really appreciated but still it was not enough). In DS 3 i felt that they brought back a bit more of the “grit” i was talking about with the insulated suit, you get later on in the game. But the customization was much too over the top! It was ridiculous seeing scope set on scope basically and all the little upgrades were much too cheesy looking, it just through me right out of the “realism” in the game. It was just plain lazy, and i honestly feel like they have really lost touch with their roots. I need to see the more square look of things, not round if you know what i mean. More rustic grit and not just things here and there to remind you that is what this game used to be about! Of course this is just my opinion, but i honestly feel like they need to really get back in touch with what made the game what it is today. Maybe even sit down and look at everything they designed back then, and replay the game in the hopes it will remind them of what made Deadspace…Deadspace.

17. Joshua Carpenter

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:34 pm

I loved the co-op in 3 since it made sense with DS’s story. The most interesting parts where watching how Isaac and Carver react when Carver starts hallucinating. You really got to see the difference in it when playing as Isaac or Carver. What people don’t seem to acknowledge is that the loss of fear is because of this..When you played the first Dead Space you were obviously scared because you didn’t know how to react to the necromorphs. After seeing how they behave for 3 games, it’s no surprise that one wouldn’t find the game as scary as it was before when the necromorphs do the same things all 3 games

18. Rain Orvik

Sep 6, 2014 at 1:47 pm

What can i say, simply the best game ever made and i play it all over again and i cant get enought. Hope they do something good next.. part 3 was different, but not that bad, compared 1,2 it was bit lighter. Liked 1,2 better than 3-rd but i dont want to tell EA what i want to see next, it will spoil the suprise. On big screen behind PS3 in a dark room with dead space… the best entertainment. I have played many games from the beginning of PS, but there is nothing like dead space.

19. $tR@Ng3

Oct 7, 2014 at 1:29 pm

i recently started playing dead space and enjoyed the first and second working on the third at the moment all of them seem to be good but the third one seems to be less scary than the first to agreed it is jumpy but if EA releases a fourth i would much enjoy to play it

20. Leo

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:19 pm

I dunno why so many ppl complain about DS3. Yes it wasn’t like the other 2, yes the story wasn’t as good and kinda lame, but wasn’t a bad game at all. I really like it, it had it’s moments, and with the new weapon crafting system (plain genius) it added allot of replay value to the game. Also the retro mode and the other unlocks added even more substance to it. I’ve play it in many different ways, and boy I tell you, the 3D mode with Helix Fix it’s incredible! It adds so so much to the atmosphere and gameplay, a totally new experience. If you have 3D glasses, dl the HelixMod fix and give it a try, you won’t regret it! I still play it after a couple of month thanks to the weapon crafting system and co-op.

As a side note, ppl think they could judge everything nowadays, a game that doesn’t fully 100% meet the expectations gets criticized almost like the worst thing ever. Go back 20 years and play some of the games back then, some were so bad and unplanned that you couldn’t get passed the first stage. I understand the greed behind EA not to meet sales expectations, and that’s really lame, fuck them, but don’t judge a game that is actually really good. As for EA, eat it, get on the board and give us the DS4 that we are all expecting. With the same or improved weapon crafting system please 😀

21. Vitens Tekron

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:22 pm

i liked DS3 to. looked good and story was revieling. i specially liked the fact you can do co-op. the sad thing tho in random co-op is, people are rushing the levels. it takes the horror bit away from the story. but if you go with a friend, it is most fun. to bad it isnt really a repeatable game. hope they add some new stuff in DS4like: 4 player co-op, boss fights and the build up suspense to it, more weapons to costumize, bigger maps/levels (open world feeling), more side quests and are more usefull, more different enemy’s and specially more gore. and the light saber blade we saw in the animated movie. (there is something-like in the game, but it doesnt show a huge laser sword’like in the movie)
    oh the option to go 1th-person vieuw would be a huge improvement to me!

22. Thomas

Jan 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm

Before I see a dead space 4, as much as i would love to see how it turns out, I would enjoy seeing a revamp of dead space 1,2,3 on the new gen systems, better graphics, new add ons, maybe even a mode to create your own suit for fun after you beat the game or after you find a lot of items needed to unlock it, or beating a difficulty, stuff like that to spice up already good games, i would like to see that, then they would be able to build their money towards making a new one, supporting them all the way.

23. JesseMace

Jan 26, 2015 at 11:36 am

please do another ds. my favorite game of all time was ds2. i didn’t get the platinum trophy because i couldn’t beat it on hardcore. but please do another ds. my only complaints on 3 were the upgrades didn’t really get good till my second playthrough and sometimes the necromorphs became predictably obnoxious by a tad bit. overall i loved 3 as well. do 4 and put in a good story with survival horror background.

24. xdirector4u2cx

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:29 pm

All three dead space games were and are amazing. I just turned off my Xbox one so I can play my Xbox 360 and play dead space 3 again. I would buy dead space 4 In a heart beat.

25. WildWalker

Dec 22, 2015 at 6:42 am

I loved Dead Space 3. It was a bit more sandbox than the other two, I hate being herded through levels like cattle with not choice of my own to go left or right.
    The graphics are beautiful, and the scenery and scale are just awe inspiring, this game quite simply looks better than almost any other game.
    I loved the co-op, and in fact I played this game from start to finish with a friend, because in the 21st century, with great internet connectivity, that is the experience I want.
    I would buy DS4, would be nice if the co op could be expanded to 4 players.