On Thursday, after two days since WikiLeaks published thousands of documents it said revealed hacking tools the CIA developed to break into servers, smartphones, computers and TVs, founder Julian Assange said WikiLeaks will grant tech companies access to much more detailed information about CIA hacking techniques so they can “develop fixes” before the information is widely published.
The online news conference took place at the Embassy of Ecuador in London, where Assange has been staying since seeking asylum in 2012. More than four years ago, Assange sought asylum in Ecuador’s embassy to avoid extradition to Sweden, where he has been accused of sexual assault, and the United States, where he fears possible espionage charges. But his position is tenuous. Guillermo Lasso, the front-runner in Ecuador’s presidential runoff set for April 2, has said that if elected, he will evict Assange.
“The Central Intelligence Agency lost control of its entire cyberweapons arsenal,” Assange said. “This is an historic act of devastating incompetence to have created such an arsenal and stored it all in one place and not secured it.”
Assange said the website hasn’t published the tools themselves because it doesn’t want “journalists and people of the world, our sources, being hacked using these weapons.” He revealed that it would be best to give companies such as Apple, Google and Samsung access first, in favour of other companies.
“We have decided to work with them, to give them some exclusive access to some of the technical details we have, so that fixes can be pushed out,” Assange said.
Some tech giants, Google and Apple among them, have said many of the apparent vulnerabilities exposed in the documents had already been patched. Most firms said they are continuing to evaluate the information.
Ehen the documents were released, WikiLeaks claimed the CIA and its Center for Cyber Intelligence lost its restricted access to several hundred million lines of crucial hacking code. According to WikiLeaks, the archive appears to have circulated among former government hackers and contractors, one of whom provided the website with portions of it.
WikiLeaks says the CIA hacking division involved “more than 5,000 registered users and had produced more than a thousand hacking systems, trojans, viruses, and other ‘weaponized’ malware.”
A US official told USA TODAY that the FBI launched a criminal investigation into the release of the document cache. The official, who was not authorized to comment publicly, said the inquiry will determine whether the disclosure represented a breach from the outside or a leak from inside the spy agency. A separate review will attempt to assess the damage caused by such the disclosure, the official added.
CIA spokesman Dean Boyd declined to confirm the authenticity of the materials, though he defended the agency’s mission to “aggressively collect foreign intelligence overseas to protect America from terrorists, hostile nation states and other adversaries.’” Boyd said the CIA is prohibited from conducting electronic surveillance targeting individuals here at home and “does not do so.”